The scenes rarely seen in the 1982 AIAW Championship broadcast on BTN are Rutgers and Texas | Hoopfeed.com
Published on May 7, 2020
Through Cheryl Coward
BTN will broadcast a rare video tape of the 1982 AIAW Championship game at 8pm on Saturday, May 9th. The game is composed of Rutgers University and Texas. ET. This game is AIAW’s ultimate championship game and has never been broadcast on TV. The championship game was brought to life again with a combination of recently released video tapes and audio broadcast by Rutgers students.
This game has the power of two sports-Texas, led by legendary head coach Jody Conradt, has won a 32-game winning streak and is considered the most popular. Under the guidance of head coach Theresa Grentz, Rutgers has a team of twins Patty and Mary Coyle, and Jon Orkovs. The senior team led by June Olkowski and Chris Dailey. In the only national championship game ever held at The Palestra in Philadelphia, the Scarlet Cavaliers defeated the Longhorns in the second half and won Rutgers’ only national championship in women’s basketball.
The historic moment of women ’s basketball will happen at the same time as the real-time tweet with the hashtag # 82RutgersAIAW:
- At that time, Rutgers University ’s head coach Grenz (@ TheresaGrentz12)
- 1982 AIAW Championship MVP Patty Coyle (@coachcoyle)
- Captain in 1982, and now UConn Women ’s Basketball Assistant Chris Dailey (@cduconn)
- Current coach of Rutgers University C. Vivian Stringer (@cvivianstringer)
- BTN Women’s Basketball Announcer Lisa Burlington (@lisabyington)
- Other former players and media, including @Hoopfeed
You can also pass Fox Sports App.
BTN’s B1G video recall was hosted by Lisa Byington and featured Grentz and Dailey, watching various parts of the game and sharing their memories.