WNBA rejects Elena Delle Donne’s medical withdrawal request Hoopfeed.com
Published on July 14, 2020
Through Cheryl Coward
The WNBA denies that Washington mystery forward Elena Delle Donne withdrew from the medical choice for the 2020 season because the team will start playing in a remote environment in Florida to protect players from the COVID-19 virus.
The league’s most valuable player, Delle Donne, suffered from Lyme disease and asked her to be disbanded because her personal doctor told her that she was at high risk of contracting the virus and suffering from complications. ESPN is the first report to be rejected by an independent team of doctors appointed by the WNBA. Players who accept medical options will receive the full salary this season. Dell Donne and teammate Tina Charles did not travel to Florida with the team last week because they entered the alliance medical evaluation protocol implemented due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I love my team. Last year our performance was incredible. I want to participate in the game!” Delle Donne said in a statement to ESPN. “But the question is whether the WNBA bubble is safe for me. My private doctor who has treated Lyme disease for many years told me that I am easily infected with COVID-19 and at risk of complications.”
Mystic player Natasha Cloud has been focusing on social justice issues this season, and she is disappointed to deny the league’s disappointment through social media.
“This is a bull-“, Yun wrote. “@WNBA either played or risked his life…what do we stand for? Because obviously not a player.”
The WNBA season begins on July 25, and each team plays 22 games.
This post is written by Cheryl Coward